Featured Artist Header

Links to the artists featured in our header photo: Kathryn Newman Glass Art|| Holly's Folly || Prima Donna Beads|| Polychrome Beads||

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Glass Bead Spacers - Space Out Sunday 3.23.14

We're so pleased to say Space Out Sunday is back on track for a few months at least! We're starting off with a bang with one of those artists that everyone admires - Kandice Seeber.

As we celebrate the humble and not so humble spacer bead, all artisans will be posting pics that feature lampwork spacers today!

But let's get to know Kandice a little better. First some of her spacer beads:

What do you make? What or you known for?
I think I'm most known for my use of color, and also because I work very small.  My beads are tiny and detailed, and I do a lot of florals and other feminine decoration. I mostly make small sets of round beads, but sometimes branch out to cubes, tabs and such. I'm also known for my pumpkin beads.



Do you ever space out at the torch? What do you think about / listen to / watch?
I'm pretty attentive at the torch - but I love to listen to music while I make beads.  I listen to Pandora, which plays a lot of alternative, electronica, or rock that I love.  A lot of the time, I will have the TV on in the background instead, with reruns of my favorite shows - Star Trek and other space-y things.





What was the Worst burn / cut you ever got??? How did it happen, where was it? Special treatment???
Luckily, I haven't had anything serious like that in the time I have been making beads - about 12 years.  I get the occasional small burn or cut, but nothing that is debilitating. Knock on wood!


What was the hardest skill for you to learn how did you overcome? Any tips to share?
I had the toughest time learning how to encase florals. It took me years before my florals weren't smeary, and before my encased beads weren't full of bubbles! I use good, expensive clear because I like the way it looks, and it doesn't scum or bubble. I use a small dental tool to push the glass around so I don't get bubbles. 



What is YOUR favorite jewelry to wear?
Strangely, I don't wear a lot of jewelry.  On special occasions, I will string a few beads on a leather cord and wear them on my neck, but most of the time, I don't wear jewelry.  I have fibromyalgia, which means that I am exceptionally sensitive to anything that touches me, so I don't even wear my wedding ring.  :)
I do have a spectacular necklace that my husband gave me for our anniversary - it's a chunky silver chain, with a pendant that was made by my friend Kim, and has one of her amazing seahorse beads attached to a silver heart.  I adore it.


You can find Kandice and her work here:
Main Website | Tutorial Website | Blog | Facebook Fan Page | Twitter | Pinterest



1 comment: